Thursday, January 22, 2009

What a Great Day To Be Alive

"Let it be said by our children's children that when we were tested we refused to let this journey end, that we did not turn back nor did we falter; and with eyes fixed on the horizon and God's grace upon us, we carried forth that great gift of freedom and delivered it safely to future generations."
-Barack Obama, January 20, 2009



I would've sworn I was on my death bed just a few short hours ago.

Monday evening I made some pasta and then BAM! I was hugging my porcelin friend for what seemed like forever. At first I questioned my cooking, then I remembered how I had inhaled my sweet, little (still contaigious) nephew all day on Sunday at my in-laws. My husband's parents, grandmother, and I all got sick. It was a wretched little bug that I wouldn't have wished on my worst enemy.

Hubs stayed home on Tuesday to take care of me and it was actually kinda nice...despite being on my death bed. He did all the laundry, bought me gatorade, and Lysoled the entire place. He also changed all the diapers, played with spider monkey and cooked me chicken noodle soup. Oh, and did I mention??? He made a late night run to find me a hamburger and a chocolate shake when I finally got my appetite back. It was so nice to be taken care of. I know I take him for granted alot, but I just want to say, "Thank you babe. You are so amazing! And I appreciate all the things you do for me, they do not go unnoticed!"

So back to being alive.........

Grayson,

You witnessed history yesterday.


And while it will be years and years before you can possibly comprehend the significance of the day, it was one during which your mother's hope was renewed in the future that lies ahead of you. A pure manifestation of good and right, faith and discipline, change and hope.

I don't know about y'all, but I feel privileged to be an American, especially right now. I witnessed history, along with my husband and son yesterday morning while watching Barack Obama's inauguration, and I just felt so honored to be able to see that amazing moment. No matter what your political beliefs, or who you voted for, it was a very special sight to see, and I'm sure it's something I'll talk about with my grandkids someday.


Just look at this crowd.

Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Photo Printing

The news said the estimated number was 1.9 million people. Wow.

I sat on the couch beside my baby with my eyes glued to the TV and I cried. Clutching the hand of my son, I cried.


I cried because the world feels very small. Because the next time I travel, I won't be ashamed to say I'm American. I cried because people are good and decent and capable of such profound change. Because the future is hopeful and so are my friends, family, even those most cynical. Because everything just feels new, today. Different. Because when my children will think, "first family" they will think of this:

Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Photo Printing

When I'm old and people ask "where were you on Jan 20, 2009," I will say, proudly, that I was home, beside my son, watching the reflection of change flickering like fire in his eyes. That I got to watch history unfold while being surrounded by the future: a boy, perceptive beyond his 18 months of life, watching the television with cockeyed interest.

Bravo Mr. Obama, you have won this republican-southern-girl over.....and Mrs. Michelle, that was a fantastic dress! Any woman who can walk in designer heels from sun up to sun down in the frigid cold, has my respect. You looked amazing and were full of grace.

Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Photo Printing
Jackie would be proud!

1 comment:

Andréa said...

I can't say I felt as "changed" as you did, but he is slowly warming me over. I did cry, but only for the significance. He will have to prove to me what he can do.