Saturday, August 10, 2013

Six Years



Here I am, six years to the day, getting all emotional because my baby is turning a year older. Does this ever end? The crying, the reminiscing, the longing to nurse him just one last time? I know that you're rolling your eyes as you're reading this, Gray.....but once upon a time, not long ago (that's how Sissy always starts her storytelling)...there was this girl who received the greatest gift imaginable. She became a mother.




These moments? I have them forever. These are the ones I'll go back to both when things are rough and when life feels glorious.



When parenting is hard, when years replace days in separating me from the moment he arrived, when I don't have the answers and he's not tiny and I'm not the one and only thing he needs for survival, I'll remember what it felt like to be handed my son--how quickly and deeply that love began, and I'll find perspective hidden in these memories.

No comments: