Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Strep Tease

If there is a word stronger than hate, I would use it 100 times to described just how strongly I feel about working out.

I have always admired those toned mommies in cute little workout get ups struttin' their stuff around the mall. They always looked so determined, so focused. I have always secretly longed to be one of those self assured, tight-butt mommas who exude strength and an air of crave worthy health and wellness.

But that's where it has always ended. At longing.

I've always got an excuse when it comes to physical exertion. No, sorry....not working out today, it's MLK Jr.'s b-day....or....nope, can't right now, I need to watch this Dr. Phil episode about babies and beauty pageants...huh? I wasn't always like this. I started dancing when I was 5....ballet, jazz, tap, modern dance...you name it. I loved it! I was on the drill team in high school and ran my heiny off for 2 1/2 years after school each day. I was in shape, I was toned and limber, and by gosh, I was smokin'!

So what the heck happened?

Well, I grew up, got married, had a baby....wait. All these things were on my checklist for adulthood. So when did having a behemoth butt sneak in to my list?

A couple of weeks ago I forced myself to put Grayson in the stroller, Bentley on her leash, and attempt to lightly jog around my apartment complex. This lasted for about oh, um...22 seconds. Disgusted with myself, I hung my head and slowly heaped my "more to love" frame up the stairs. The fact that I nearly died mid flight, crushed any future repetitions. As I stared into the eyes of my little angel, I made a promise to him and myself that I would be that "hot mommy" all his friends adored and NOT the mom who sits in her minivan shoving Twinkies down her throat.

That said, yesterday I joined stroller fit. It was AMAZING!! I loved every second of it. The person that thought this up is BRILLIANT! Stroller fit is nation wide and it consists of mommy, baby, stroller, exercising, dancing and singing all at the same time. Not to be mistaken for "child's play"....it is a definite booty kicker! My friend, Michelle, and I had recently discussed our 32oz coca cola addiction (sometimes twice a day - yikes!) and learned that by drinking ONE 20 oz cola a day for a year will transform into 15 extra lbs of fat. WTF?? We decided we would join this coveted group and diminish our cravings to perhaps once a week and I must say, it is the answer to what I have been yearning for. Oh, and our friend, Lindsay, is an instructor now..bonus! So I get to meet new mommy friends and their little tykes, entertain my own babe, and work hard for that size 8 butt, all at the same time. This calls for a "Woo Hoo!"

But, of course, my little victory dance ended too soon.

Here's Grayson workin' out his upper body

Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Photo Printing - Photo Books


And doing push ups!

Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Photo Printing - Photo Books


By the time I returned home and got Grayson down for his power nap, I started to feel a little icky. Surely my inner mommalicious self was not already rejecting the early a.m. workout! What felt like the beginnings of a total body meltdown had me lying down beside my son, hoping I wasn't coming down with something. Two hours later it was clear. I was getting strep throat! No, no, no, no....was it an infectious tyke from the mall? Did they breathe their strep throat breath my way? Did I touch a bacteria infested door handle? I have tried to be so careful, lately. I am prone to getting the little throat boogers just by thinking the words "strep throat". Last year alone, I had strep 3 times! The doc said if I contacted it once more, the tonsils were coming out.

Now, I'm sure that most of you think this is some simple procedure...a day surgery, if you will. I, on the other hand, would like to keep my tonsils...they have been apart of me for 28 years now and I'm not interested in giving them up. I've already had to say "good bye" to my gall bladder. Not to mention my c-section that helped give life to my little man. I think I'm good on surgeries for a while. Yeah, I'm sure of it.

So, here it is, a day later and I can't work out because of my stupid, contagious throat. Oh, I know what you're thinking.....not another excuse, Missy.

Maybe I can do reps with my Gatorade bottles.........

Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Photo Printing - Photo Books


I promise you all, that by early morning, I will jump back on the booty busting train. As for now, I'm going to sip on my Gatorade and pop my amoxicillin's like nobodies business.

Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Photo Printing - Photo Books
And tomorrow I will strive to improve my physique. Who knows, maybe someday I will be the one who looks like workout Barbie trotting through the mall.

Um, or not. But workout Barbie's less-determined, plumpy sister is probably doable.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

I am so proud of you for getting up and going yesterday morning! I hate it when you are so motivated and then something happens that you can't control. Just rest and get to feeling better and we will keep out booties lately! XOXO

Michelle said...

that was supposed to be KICK our booties............

Lisa said...

You crack me up! Sorry you have been feeling sick and hope you are better today!!

That is so fun that you and Michelle joined Stroller Fit. I am pretty sure I am going to join when I can get my lazy butt off the couch after baby #2! So I'm sure that will still be a few months from now, but it will be so fun since all the "cool" moms will be doing it!

Andréa said...

NO for strep throat. BOOO! Yay for Stroller fit though. Maybe when Brady gets here, I will get my ass into shape too! I think I am up to 20lbs (gasp!)